Friday, November 19, 2010

10 Skills Every Cook Should Know


When my eyes were opened to the wonderful joys of cooking over a decade ago, I must admit that I was less-than-jubilant when it came to the nuts and bolts of mise-en-place, chopping, dicing, slicing, the sous-vide method, de-glazing, preparing a mirepoix and other "basic" kitchen skills.

The idea of a dish the end-game of a particular cuisine was certainly a great source of excitement, fueling my curiosity and creativity. It was the more tactical (and often tedious) steps required in getting started or preparing ingredients for cooking that slowed my learning curve, or dampened my enthusiasm.

However, I must say that patience is a virtue. Anyone wishing to hone or perfect an artistic or creative skill must patiently develop the basics. What decent pianist cannot owe his or her pedigree to having had to spend countless hours doing basic chords on the keyboard? SFGate.com has a nifty guide to the ten basic skills every cuisine aficionado should master. Only then can one elevate their performance level in the culinary arts.

No comments: