Thursday, April 27, 2006

Dear friend, Bacchus

Those who know me, know that I like wine. Those who know me well, understand my vast appreciation for that finest of beverages whose beginnings mark the dawn of civilization.

During my stockbroker years (i.e. the richest ones), I had the privilege to meet (and subsequently date) a beautiful and brilliant young alcoholic who initiated me to the world of wine. Five years later, I have become an avid collector and afficionado.

What I find most wonderful about wine is that a developed taste and interest can substitute, at least partly, the thrills of travel to those "delectable" regions where the vineyards reside. Moreover, wine can turn an otherwise ordinary meal into a memorable dining experience. Note: I am a Montrealer through-and-through, so the concept of "meal as celebration" is an integral part of my life.

For example, take a whif of the remarkably nuanced bouquet, and relish the mouth and finish, of a 1999 Gevrey-Chambertin. You can almost breathe in the fresh, earthy air of the Loire valley (Côte-de-Nuits).
Bouchard Père et Fils is an excellent domaine producing this appellation, and the 1999 vintage is considered one of the finest that Burgundy has ever produced. This exceptionally balanced yet potent wine will accompany any of your red meats and game, not to mention "stinky" cheeses.

My love of wine has fostered a deeper appreciation for the viticulture of what has now become a world-wide industry. One is no longer limited to the vineyards of France or Italy to savor a palatable and tasty wine. The emerging producers of Australia, California, South Africa, Chile, Argentina and even the Balkans, Greece, Rumania and Lebanon, have gems on offer.

In my opinion, the Italians are the most underrated wines while some South American, Australian and the emerging regions of Balkan, Greek, Romanian and even Lebanese wines offer some jewels. The Californians, although generally good (and some truly exceptional), tend to be overpriced.

My preferred
varietal is the sangiovese grape, which is used to produce one of the most nuanced wines in the world: Chianti. Produced in the Italian region of Tuscany, simple Chianti is a light, fruitful wine that goes well with virtually any meal. Chianti-Classico and Chianti-Classico Riserva appellations take the cake. They tend to be full-bodied, complex and rich wines that can accompany meat dishes and game delicacies like duck, deer, and venison. This DOCG (denominzione originale controllata e granatita) also accompanies mamma's pasta dishes beautifully.

I'm interested in knowing what experiences you have to share. What parts of the world have you visited via its wine? Do you collect wine, and if so, do you have any tantalizing suggestions? I have a few of my own that meet the criteria for what I call "value" wines. If you care, let's exchange suggestions.

-The Winer


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Patrick,

Actually, I like the Italians, too. One that I recently discovered and is worthy of mention is a product of the Umberto Cesari house. It's called "Liano" and is a super Tuscan. The earliest vintage I am familiar with is the 2001 and I remember it being quite robust. Hope you like it.